Friday, June 27, 2008

The Daily 5

Butler, I tried to post on your page, but I couldn't figure out how. So, I'm just leaving another entry. I want to know your thoughts about that Daily 5 book. I just have one chapter left and it sounds good in theory...but I don't know how doable or even how different it might be from what I'm already doing. I'd have to change some things...I wouldn't really have "literacy centers" or a workboard anymore...althought the components of the daily 5 are things I have as literacy centers (read to self, read to someone, listen to someone read, writing, word work). And I'd have to release more of my control...the kids choose in which order they use a daily 5 and that scares me a bit. Maybe by the end of kindergarten it could be doable...but with mine and Dawn's new school expecting 90 minutes of guided reading/small groups a day I need to do something a little bit differently to keep the kiddos doing purposeful and engaging activities. I don't think I've ever done more than 60 min. at a time. But I like the idea of interspersing little mini-lessons throughout the 90 minutes. Re or reread the book and tell me what you think. Anyone else...please tell me what you think.
Basically, I think it all comes down to being a super-hero kindergarten teacher. The expectations are always going to be daunting.

No comments: